Jon Espinola joined the firm in October 2016 after working both for a local law firm and for national public accounting firms. Jon’s practice is focused on commercial litigation and commercial real estate litigation, tax, corporate transactions, and commercial real estate in addition to general business matters. Jon takes an entrepreneurial approach to his practice to not only provide legal solutions for his clients, but to add value as a trusted business advisor.
In recent years, Jon has gained valuable experience in public accounting where he focused on transactional tax matters, including tax due diligence and tax structuring, for deals ranging from $20 – $250+ million. Additionally, Jon regularly advised CFOs and Tax Directors of public and privately held companies as to tax efficient ways of restructuring business operations and general tax planning strategies. Jon also has experience in multistate income/franchise tax and sales and use tax consulting.
Prior to entering the public accounting world, Jon worked as an attorney involved in substantial federal and state tax controversies. In this role, Jon advocated for his clients as he represented them before the IRS and North Carolina Department of Revenue.
Outside of work, Jon enjoys spending time with his family, hiking, golfing, and competing in various running events.
Practice Areas & Representative Work
- Commercial Litigation/Commercial Real Estate Litigation
- Commercial Real Estate
- University of North Carolina School of Law, JD (2011)
- Stetson University, BBA (2008, Magna Cum Laude)
Professional & Community Organizations
- North Carolina Bar Association – Tax Section
- Mecklenburg County Bar
- CREW Charlotte
- Association for Corporate Growth – Young ACG Charlotte
Publications & Presentations
- Investors Title Insurance Co: Commercial Seminar- Tax Issues in Real Estate Transactions (January 2013)
- Stifel, Nicolaus & Company, Inc.: CPA Seminar- Tax Update and Tax Planning (December 2012)