Although he did spend some time in Texas and California, Eric is a native of Charlotte and his heart is in the Carolinas. Eric focuses on helping the firm’s clients with their various business and employment needs. On business matters, he advises clients on a host of issues. These include: choosing and organizing business entities; preparing contracts with partners, suppliers and customers; partner disputes; mergers and acquisitions; franchising; financing; private offerings; and overall strategic planning. Eric also helps all our client employers with their hiring; employment agreements; incentives; general policies and handbooks; workplace investigations, discipline; termination; severance; and non-competition/non-solicitation/confidentiality agreements and issues.
Eric firmly believes in helping his clients and the community build connections that make everyone better and more productive. So you can often find Eric giving presentations, writing topical articles and participating in various business groups, such as the Employers’ Association.
Prior to his life as an attorney, Eric gained valuable business experience working for several years as a management accountant and project manager for a research firm in the electric utility industry.
Outside of work, Eric likes to spend time with his family, drooling over fast motorcycles (he sold his Ducati and is still dealing with some seller’s remorse) and training in martial arts. He is currently focused on Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but has trained in Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Boxing and other arts. Eric also volunteers as a Den Leader for his son’s Cub Scout Pack – Go Den 7 Bears!
Practice Areas & Representative Work
- Regularly represents multiple clients in forming and structuring business organizations, including multiple owner profit/ownership negotiations, shareholders’ agreements, partnership agreements, joint venture agreements, tax considerations, asset protection planning, corporate restructuring issues, succession planning, lease negotiations and compensation alternatives.
- Regularly represents clients in acquisition (including agreement negotiation, financing and closing of transaction) and disposition of various types of businesses.
- Represents multiple clients in business partner disputes and business dissolution for businesses of all sizes.
- Represents numerous franchisees in evaluating franchise documents, forming their franchise businesses and selling franchise locations.
- Regularly represents clients in wide ranging contract negotiations, including distribution agreements, licensing agreements, consulting agreements, independent contractor agreements, ASP agreements, customer agreements with standard terms and conditions and Internet site related policies.
- Represents employers ranging from two to hundreds of employees in developing and implementing comprehensive and up-to-date employment policies.
- Provides training to employees, management and staff.
- Represents employers and employees in preparing wide ranging employment agreements, incentive plans, deferred compensation plans, retirement plans and succession plans for key employees.
- Represents employees and employers regarding confidentiality agreements, non-competition agreements, non-solicitation agreements and other restrictions on competition.
- Represents employees and employers regarding separation from employment issues, releases and severance agreements.
- Represents multiple employers regarding employee misconduct investigations and allegations.
- Represents multiple employers regarding various claims in front of the Employment Security Commission, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Federal and state Departments of Labor and other regulatory agencies.
- Wake Forest University School of Law – JD, 2002
- McColl School of Business at Queens University – MBA, 1998
- University of North Texas – BBA, 1993
Professional & Community Organizations
- Mecklenburg County Bar – Finance Committee
- Former Chair and Board Member of SouthPark Chapter of Charlotte Chamber of Commerce
- Cub Scout Den Leader
- Martial Arts – 30+ years
Publications & Presentations
- Confidentiality and Restrictive Covenants Presentation at Employers’ Association (January 2015)
- 10 Things to Consider Before Testing Employees (June 2014)
- Avoiding and Dealing with Workforce Disruptions, Greater Charlotte Biz Symposium (October 2013)
- Common Mistakes to Avoid with Your Employees, Wake Forest Family Business Center (July 2013)
- Management Provisions in LLC Operating Agreements (January 2013)
- “A Breakfast Buffet of Ethics With a Side of New Guidance on Electronic Communications”, Metrolina Paralegal’s Association (2012)
- “What Can You Find Out About That Job Applicant?” Greater Charlotte Biz Magazine (February 2012)
- Association of Corporate Counsel – “Help! She’s Stealing My Customers And Blogging About It!” CLE Presentation (November 2009)
- “Keep The Really Good Ones: Alternative Incentives For Key Employees,” Greater Charlotte Biz Magazine (November 2008)
- “Real World Restrictions On Employee Conduct,” Greater Charlotte Biz Magazine (October 2008)
- “Common Wage And Hour Pay Mistakes You Should Avoid,” Greater Charlotte Biz Magazine (September 2008)
- “In Employment Law, Numbers Matter,” Greater Charlotte Biz Magazine (August 2008)
- “CSI For The Business Owner,” Greater Charlotte Biz Magazine (July 2008)
- “A Thrilling Way To Save Your Business Money!” Greater Charlotte Biz Magazine (June 2008)
- “Is Your ‘Contractor’ Really An ‘Employee’? The Answer May Surprise You,” Greater Charlotte Biz Magazine (May 2008)
- “Getting The ‘Wrong’ People Off The Bus The ‘Right’ Way,” Greater Charlotte Biz Magazine (March 2007)
- “Common Sense Employment Law: A Survey Of Major Federal and NC Labor Laws With Practical Advice For Dealing With Common Issues,” Metrolina Paralegal Association Annual Continuing Education Seminar (February 2007)
- Executive Roundtable on Employment Law Issues, Hood Hargett Breakfast Club – Guest Speaker (March 2006)
- HIPAA Compliance Training Seminar (October 2005)
- “Today’s Techniques… Tomorrow’s Troubles: Selected Topics In Employment Law,” CPA Continuing Education Seminar (September 2003)
S. Eric Bass
Recent Awards & Recognition
Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated